Hi! I’m Kara, founder of The Frugal Feminista!
Welcome! The Frugal Feminista was created from a deep place of love, advocacy, and joy that comes from understanding the brilliance and beauty of black women; and knowing the role that money can play in helping them live life on their own terms.
What sets The Frugal Feminista apart from other personal finance and personal development sites is our approach to helping black women step into their financial confidence, demolish their debt, and set themselves up to achieve financial ease. We approach money healing through: Sisterhood. Support. Sacred Self-Care. Solid Steps and Strategies.
Consider me your financial friend.
When I was scrapping and clawing my way out of $65k worth of student loan and consumer debt, $40k of which I was able to eliminate in two years, I learned sooooo much about money, but sooooo much more about myself.
I came face-to- face with the limits that I put on myself and the limited and unhealthy beliefs I held about money.
Hands down, I think brown girls get a bad rap when it comes to how we understand our worth, goodness, and positioning in society. And for all intents and purpose, so does money: Everyone wants it, talks about it, dreams about it, but rarely knows how to handle it with care and purpose.
And as your financial friend, I teach, coach, and guide you to moving your money mess to a money makers. On top of that, I provide you with the right resources and supports to get you there.
So when I created The Frugal Feminista, I wanted to make sure that I told the truth and nothing but the truth about black women and money. No where on the web will you find a site that simultaneously helps brown girls heal, deepen, and strengthen not only their relationship with themselves, but also with their money. It’s an ambitious mission, but one I feel completely committed and qualified to do.
Since 2013, I’ve worked with thousands of women as a writer, coach, consultant, and speaker on helping black women break up with being broke, break free from the money blocks and personal hurdles that keep them from financial confidence, living a debt free life, and owning their piece of financial peace. On top of that, I’ve partnered with a number of brands to spread this message. From Prudential to Chrysler to Dove to Dryel, The Frugal Feminista has worked with quality brands with campaigns that align with our mission: financial empowerment and personal development that is authentic, kind, and thoughtful.
One of my greatest hopes is that the content on The Frugal Feminista makes you feel like you’ve just finished a loooong, cool glass of lemonade. I hope the writing and messages make you smack your lips, throw your head back, and come back for seconds.
I want you to feel that good. That poured into.
Here are a few articles to get you started!
Enjoy and drop me a note about what resonated with you most at firstname.lastname@example.org.
And one last thing. I always like it when tribe leaders share a little more about themselves. Sooooo, I wanted to do the same!!
http://www.thefrugalfeminista.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/10-Random-Facts-About-Me-Banner-768x284.png 768w, http://www.thefrugalfeminista.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/10-Random-Facts-About-Me-Banner-600x222.png 600w, http://www.thefrugalfeminista.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/10-Random-Facts-About-Me-Banner-610x226.png 610w" alt="10 Random Facts About Me Banner" width="851" height="315" />
1. Jamaica Kincaid is my favorite writer! One of my dreams came true in 2015 when I met her and gave her a hug. I asked her for her email address and she gave it to me. I wrote her three emails, but she never responded. My husband says that I crossed the line from being a fan to becoming a full-fledged hiding-in-the-bushes-with-sunglasses-at-nighttime stalker when I contemplated writing a fourth. Perhaps he was right. I eventually stopped thinking about sending a fourth…eventually.
2. I love retreats. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. Retreats give me time to reflect, rejuvenate, and review my plans for world domination. My favorite low-cost, high-quality retreat center is in Haines Falls, NY.
3. I’m a fake vegan. Please don’t judge me. LOL. I don’t know how many times I’ve started and failed the transition from full-on meat eater to vegan. The struggle is so real, but I can’t stop, won’t stop.
4. Getting into debt and out of debt was one of the best things that have happened to me. It helped me discover my passion for personal finance and helping women that look like me get their financial lives in tip-top shape.
5. I like a dollop of ratchet reality television. I’m #TeamNene all day. Don’t care.
6. I’m a therapy evangelist (stole that title from a good friend) so, it’s not surprising that one of my favorite movies is Good Will Hunting, which is largely about a mutually transformative relationship between a therapist and his patient.
7. I’ve had locs for close to seventeen years and I’ve cut them short at least three times and threaten to chop them all off (with the exception of two teeny tiny ones at the front) during the hottest months of the year.
8. Next year, I will be in Antigua (pronounced An-te-ga, not An-te-gua) playin’ mass. Yes. Yes. Yes.
9. I was a Fulbright Semi-finalist. My proposal focused on how IMF’s Structural Adjustment Programs (SAPs) negatively impacted Ghanaian market women in the informal sector.
10. Although I claim that every song is MY jam, I only know all the words to about three songs, four if the song is played in the background while I sing.
Bonus Factoid: 11. I’m very much an introvert. I love spending time with and in my thoughts. But I do love people and hearing their stories, which makes me a great listener and the best secret keeper.
Bonus, Bonus Factoid: 12. I’d rather be happy than I credit to my race. I renounce, reject, and rebuke all gender, class, and race constructs that keep me from being authentically Kara. I believe The Strong Black Woman trope, in particular, is a straight up conspiracy ( a C-O-N-SPIRACY) to strangle every bit of happiness that brown, brilliant, black girls harvest and hide for themselves.